2020 Columbus Arts Festival Jury to Select Participating Artists
For immediate releaseJanuary 9, 2020
Contact: Jami Goldstein
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Columbus Arts Festival powered by American Electric Power (AEP) will host the jury to select participating artists for the 2020 festival Jan. 18-19. The jury will take place at BalletMet’s performance space at 322 Mt. Vernon Ave. downtown.
“Our 2020 Columbus Arts Festival jury members bring a wealth of experience in their fields,” said Sean Kessler, director of the Columbus Arts Festival. “We had nearly 850 applications from talented artists across the country and beyond, so the jury will have a busy weekend selecting approximately 275 exhibiting artists in 16 different categories.”
Each artist submits four images of their work, one booth photo and an artist statement. The jury is conducted as a blind jury, with no identifying names or demographics provided for the artists being reviewed.
The 2020 Festival jurors represent practicing artists and gallery curators in Ohio:
- Jacci Delaney is Columbus artist with more than 17 years’ experience in glassblowing, glass casting and cold-working. She earned her MFA at The Ohio State University in focused on glass, sculpture and holograms.
- David Gentilini is curator of the Schumacher Gallery at Capital University. He has worked at the University since 2000, and is a practicing artist represented by Sharon Weiss Gallery in the Short North Arts District.
- Lisa McLymont is a self-taught, multi-disciplinary artist working in sculpture, metalwork, jewelry design, drawing and painting. She has a Bachelor of Science in industrial design from The Ohio State University.
- Jo-ey Tang is the director of exhibitions at CCAD’s Beeler Gallery. He was curator at Palais de Tokyo, Paris, from 2014 to 2015, and arts editor of literary magazine n+1from 2009 to 2014.
- Merijn Vanderheiden is director of exhibitions and curatorial practice at the OSU Urban Arts Space and Hopkins Hall Gallery. She has a BFA in art from the Akademie voor Beeldende Vorming and an MFA in art from The Ohio State University.
The jury is open to the public from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 18 and from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 19 (ending times each day may vary). The Columbus Arts Festival jury is a great opportunity for curators and collectors to see and discover a wide variety of artists.
The Arts Festival received nearly 850 applications, including 176 from Ohio. Applying artists represent 46 states and four countries: Belgium, Canada, Israel and Nigeria.
Festival Hours: Friday, June 12 from 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.; Saturday, June 13 from 10 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.; and Sunday, June 14 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Please note: on Friday and Saturday artist booths close at 9 p.m.; artists have the option to stay open later.)
To volunteer at the Columbus Arts Festival, please go to columbusartsfestival.org/get-involved/volunteer.
For more information on the Columbus Arts Festival, call (614) 221-8625 or visit columbusartsfestival.org.
For a selection of high-res images, visit the Festival’s Press Room Images page.
The Columbus Arts Festival is produced by the Greater Columbus Arts Council.
The 2020 Columbus Arts Festival is presented by the American Electric Power Foundation. Additional sponsors and partners include Bank of America, Battelle, CoverMyMeds, G&J Pepsi Cola, Graeter’s, Grange, Hotel LeVeque, Huntington, IGS Energy, L Brands Foundation, Lasting Impressions, The Ohio State University, OSA Technology Partners, PNC, Reed Arts, Toyota, Vintage Wine Distributors, White Castle, Whole World Lemonade and Worthington Industries. Media sponsors include ABC6/Fox28, CD102.5, Dispatch Media Group, Lamar Outdoor Advertising, Mix 107.9, Ohio Magazine, Orange Barrel Media, RBX, WCBE 90.5 and WOSU Public Media.
The Greater Columbus Arts Council receives major financial support from the City of Columbus, Franklin County Commissioners and the Ohio Arts Council.
Mission of the Greater Columbus Arts Council: To support and advance the arts and cultural fabric of Columbus. www.gcac.org
# # #