2019 Columbus Arts Festival Jury to Select Participating Artists
For immediate releaseJanuary 8, 2019
Contact: Jami Goldstein
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Columbus Arts Festival powered by American Electric Power (AEP) will host the jury to select participating artists for the 2019 festival in the Seneca Room at the Westin Columbus, Jan. 26-27.
“The 2019 Columbus Arts Festival jury members bring years of experience in their fields,” said Sean Kessler, director of the Columbus Arts Festival. “We had applications from more than 800 incredibly accomplished artists so the jury will have their work cut out for them to select approximately 300 exhibiting artists in 16 different categories.”
Each artist submits four images of their work, one booth photo and artist statement. The jury is conducted as a blind jury, with no identifying names or demographics provided for the artists being reviewed.
The 2019 Festival jurors represent practicing visual artists, designers and gallery curators in Ohio:
- Michael Bush is a self-taught abstract artist in Columbus. He has participated in many juried shows, including the Ohio State Fair professional division and Art for Life.
- Chris Casella is an internationally published photographer based in Columbus. He photographs artists in the music industry and music festivals in the United States.
- Celeste Malvar-Stewart is an independent sustainable textiles and fashion designer who has worked in the fashion industry for more than 25 years.
- Greer Pagano was curator at the Pizzuti Collection from 2013 through 2018. She holds a doctorate in the history of art from The Ohio State University and received her BA in art history and Italian from Washington University in St. Louis.
- Kendra Roberts is the designer and creator of Kendra Studio Jewellery, which has been featured on HGTV, CBS Indianapolis, Woman’s World, Niche and Columbus Dispatch.
The jury is open to the public from 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 26 and from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. on Sunday, Jan. 27 (although ending times can vary). It is a great opportunity for curators and collectors to see and discover a wide variety of artists.
The Arts Festival received 850 applications, including 167 from Ohio. Applying artists represent 45 states and three countries: the United States, Canada and Israel.
Festival Hours: Friday, June 7 from 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.; Saturday, June 8 from 10 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.; and Sunday, June 9 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Please note: on Friday and Saturday artist booths close at 8 p.m.; artists have the option to stay open later.)
To volunteer at the Columbus Arts Festival, please go to columbusartsfestival.org/get-involved/volunteer.
For more information on the Columbus Arts Festival, call (614) 221-8625 or visit columbusartsfestival.org.
The Columbus Arts Festival is produced by the Greater Columbus Arts Council.
The 2019 Columbus Arts Festival is presented by American Electric Power. Additional sponsors and partners include Bank of America, Battelle, Best Buy, Blue Moon, Columbus Blue Jackets, Columbus Downtown Development Corporation, COTA, CoverMyMeds, Duke’s Mayonnaise, Easton, G&J Pepsi Cola, Graeter’s, Grange, Hotel LeVeque, Huntington, IGS Energy, Jose Cuervo, L Brands Foundation, LAZ Parking, Legoland, MORPC, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, The Ohio State University, OSA Technology Partners, PNC, Reed Arts, Schoedinger, Smart Columbus, Three Olives Vodka, Toyota, Vintage Wine Distributors, Westin Columbus, White Castle, Whole World Lemonade and Worthington Industries. Media sponsors include ABC6/Fox28, CD102.5, Dispatch Media Group, Lamar Outdoor Advertising, Mix 107.9, Ohio Magazine, Orange Barrel Media, RBX Media, RSVP, WCBE 90.5 and WOSU Public Media.
Mission of the Greater Columbus Arts Council: To support and advance the arts and cultural fabric of Columbus. www.gcac.org
# # #
For a selection of high-res images, visit the Festival’s Press Room Images page.