2018 Columbus Arts Festival Jury to Select Participating Artists
For immediate releaseFebruary 7, 2018
Contact: Jami Goldstein
COLUMBUS, Ohio – The Columbus Arts Festival powered by American Electric Power (AEP) will host the jury to select participating artists for the 2018 festival in the Thurber Conference Room at the Westin Columbus, Feb. 10-11.
“The jury members we’ve assembled bring a wealth of experience in their respective fields,” said Sean Kessler, director of the Columbus Arts Festival. “With more than 900 applications for up to 300 spots this year, our jurors will have their work cut out for them, as they examine the consistently high quality of work that’s been submitted.”
Each artist submits four images of their work, one booth photo and artist statement. The jury is conducted as a blind jury, with no identifying names or demographics provided for the artists being reviewed.
The 2018 Festival jurors represent practicing visual artists, educators, curators and gallery owners in Ohio:
- David Michael Butler is a Columbus-based painter, illustrator and educator. He earned his BFA at Columbus College of Art & Design and his MFA in studio art from The University of the Arts in Philadelphia.
- Sherrie Hawk is the owner of Sherrie Gallerie in Columbus’ Short North Arts District. Open since 2004, her gallery specializes in three-dimensional contemporary art including glass, ceramics, wood, fiber, mixed media and art jewelry.
- Eva Kwong is a Columbus artist who received her BFA from Rhode Island School of Design and her MFA from Tyler School of Art. She has presented her work in lectures, workshops and exhibitions throughout the U.S., China, Korea, Japan, Australia and Italy.
- Tyler Cann is curator of contemporary art at the Columbus Museum of Art.
- April Sunami is a Columbus-based mixed media artist. She has her MFA in art history from Ohio University and a BA in art history from The Ohio State University.
Festival Hours: Friday, June 8 from 11 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.; Saturday, June 9 from 10 a.m. to 10:30 p.m. and Sunday, June 10 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Please note: on Friday and Saturday artist booths close at 9 p.m.)
To volunteer at the Columbus Arts Festival, please go to columbusartsfestival.org/get-involved/volunteer.
For more information on the Columbus Arts Festival, call (614) 221-8625 or visit columbusartsfestival.org.
The Columbus Arts Festival is produced by the Greater Columbus Arts Council.
The 2018 Columbus Arts Festival is powered by American Electric Power. Additional sponsors and partners include Smart Columbus, AT&T, Bank of America, Blue Moon, Columbus Downtown Development Corporation, Columbus Recreation & Parks, COTA, CoverMyMeds, Easton Town Center, G&J Pepsi Cola, Graeters, Grange, Hotel LeVeque, Huntington, IGS Energy, Jose Cuervo, LAZ Parking, LBrands Foundation, LEGOLAND Discovery Center, Nationwide, The Ohio State University, OSA Technology Partners, PNC, Puffin Foundation West, Three Olives Vodka, Toyota, Vintage Wine Distributors, Westin Columbus, White Castle and Worthington Industries. Media sponsors include ABC6/FOX28, CD102.5, Dispatch Media Group, Lamar Outdoor Advertising, Mix 107.9, Ohio Magazine, Orange Barrel Media, RBX Media, RSVP, WCBE 90.5 and WOSU Public Media.
About the Greater Columbus Arts Council: Through vision and leadership, advocacy and collaboration, the Greater Columbus Arts Council supports art and advances the culture of the region. A catalyst for excellence and innovation, the Arts Council funds exemplary artists and arts organizations and provides programs, events and services of public value that educate and engage all audiences in our community. The Arts Council thanks the city of Columbus and the Ohio Arts Council for their continued support. www.gcac.org
# # #